So that’s what I did in a nutshell, except I ran into several significant problems during this process. See I had decided to upgrade my hard drives to bigger ones (trying some 2TB ones), so I bought an internal one to go inside the box as the new system disk, and I bought a 2nd external USB-3 one that was to hold all the backups during this transition process. Well, I couldn’t get a successful backup to the external drive. Windows Backup ran all night, so I went to bed and the machine was crashed in the morning. Same thing next day with Paragon’s backup. Tried ALL KINDS of things to fix the problem, but no matter what I did, the transfer rate to the external drives would gradually slow down to a crawl. Meanwhile, I was watching memory usage in Resource Monitor, and in both cases, free memory was gradually decreasing. The “System” process (which, best I can tell, manages the writing of data to the external drive) kept growing and growing, so this eventually just ate up all the memory (all 8GB of it) until the machine crashed.